Oh how woefully neglectful I’ve been in keeping up with this, my portfolio blog! It’s definitely been a busy few months, I’ve traveled to Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Washington, Oregon, Sweden and Mexico, and have been very busy working on stories throughout. I also started to write a weekly essay for the most-excellent Perceptive Travel, while keeping up with my About.com work and of course, Luxist.com, in addition to handling several magazine pieces that are forthcoming.
So let me gather a few favorites here. My work for Perceptive Travel started in September, this tag stores all of my contributions. I’m particularly proud of these essays: Shanghai and the Surprise of Old Dreams, Calling the Cows in West Sweden and Mexico and the Mean World.
I also started to contribute to the Atlantic’s Food Channel, with a piece about attempting to create my own medieval cold medicine.
Over on Luxist, where this tag marks all of my recent stories, I’m just realizing that it’s difficult to access my older posts, so I’ll do a better job of keeping up with them on this site. Here’s a selection of my favorite Luxist stories:
- The Quest for Porcelain White Skin in China
- Newport’s Cliff Walk Controversy
- A Spa a Man Can Love, about the determinedly non-frilly Lodge at Woodloch in Pennsylvania.
- Luxury Travel to Scotland: Affected by Lockerbie Bomber’s Release?
- The Nines Hotel and the Question of Design Moxie.
- The 1980s Redux at LAN Club in Shanghai
- Celebrating the Fall of the Berlin Wall
- The Social Media Detox
- Visit Kosterhavet, Sweden’s First Marine Park
- The History of Girly Drinks at Raffles Hotels
And over on About.com Culinary Travel, since I manage (and create) the entire site, it’s hard for me to play favorites. (Go have a look!) But I’m extra-pleased with a few pieces, so I’ll particularly highlight:
- A package of stories on Foodie’s Rhode Island, especially this piece on “gaggers”.
- Goodbye, Gourmet Magazine
- A review of Wine Uncorked at New York’s International Culinary Center
- A photo essay on Utah’s culinary delights.